“You are brave, Sheila Rae. You are fearless.” –Sheila Rae, The Brave by Kevin Henkes
Written about a tiny mouse, those words also describe my little sister.
I made a list of things that I love about Janna in honor of her 24th birthday. In no particular order, here are 24 things that I love about my sister:
1. She has a tender heart.
2. She is a creative cook and is always sharing news of her latest yummy experiment with me.
3. Her eyes crinkle up when she smiles.
4. She is generous.
5. She’s a talented athlete.
6. She loves justice.
7. She still drives a pickup truck.
8. She practices real hospitality by opening her heart, arms and home to others.
9. She gives real hugs.
10. She still makes her “Riki-Tiki-Tavi mongoose noise” for me even though we’re way too old for such nonsense.
11. She’s got gumption.
12. She listens to talk radio.
13. For her, moving 900 miles to marry the man she loves was a no-brainer.
14. She shows patience in her dealings with children.
15. Did I mention the fact that she’s incredibly beautiful? She looks like our mother.
16. She’s competitive but exercises a lot of self-control.
17. She loves the beach.
18. Pushover that she is, she’s adopted two black labs.
19. She’d deny being an artist but she can draw, sing and use a camera.
20. She’s been my playmate, cohort and confidante for as long as I can remember.
21. She’s tenacious.
22. She’s analytical and reasonable. (I’m neither, so I admire these traits!)
23. She’s not afraid of silence.
24. She throws her head back when she laughs.
and one to grow on:
25. She’s got a strong sense of loyalty.
Wishing a very happy birthday to my Janna Marie! You are my sunshine and I love you!