I was organizing my dance bag today and thinking that I like my job. Even though there are other dreams in my heart for the future, I’m enjoying my occupation in this season of life. Here are a few of the reasons (off the top of my head and in no particular order) that I like being a dance instructor and studio owner:
- People. My job requires me to interact with and relate to students and parents possessing various backgrounds and lifestyles. Tons of fun, although the word “unpredictable” comes to mind.
- A creative outlet. Cooking and various projects help curb my need to “make something.” However, a job that requires a lot of creative energy ensures that I fall asleep easily.
- A flexible schedule. Outside of class times, my hours of preparation are of my own choosing.
- Colored tights. Who else gets to wear neon blue tights at my age?
- Honest feedback. My students are quick to inform me if my new hairstyle is a disaster or if I need to shake off my moodiness.
Of course, I enjoy moments like this, too…